Sep 7, 2010

Coloring summer




Sorry I've been off line for a while. I was working on quite a lengthy post, which I was just deciding to divide into two parts, detailing the many plants that have flowered in the yard over this last month. But I'm afraid I made a silly and catastrophic error and deleted the whole thing. Yes. I can't quite see reconstructing it all, so I'm just going to re-paste in the pictures, along with names, which I am not going to spell-check, so this'll be a little test for me. Sorry about the lack of descriptive text. The gist of my post was going to be that, contrary to popular myth, a lot of California natives do bloom late in the summer, and if one were to mass these plants together (which I have not done as yet), then one could have quite a colorful, myth-busting yard.  Please let me know if you would like more info on any of the plants; I can certainly provide it, but not just at the moment, and I don't want to delay posting another day longer. Ahh, blogging.


Epilobium canum



Monardella macrantha 'Marian Sampson'



Satureja mimuloides



Achillea millefolium (really a spring bloomer but late in my yard for some reason)



Salvia 'Pozo Blue' hybrid



Aster chilensis (its name has changed but I haven't learned the new one yet)



Eriogonum fasciculatum



Eriogonum nudum



Eriogonum grande rubescens (very recent photo)



Eriogonum grande rubescens (a month ago)



Eriogonum grande rubescens planted with Monardella villosa








I guess I will do this in two posts.  There are plenty more. The next post will feature the more yellow and white end of the summer bloom spectrum.









1 comment:

  1. Love the photos. Your focus on blooms and very close-up images really do these plants justice. Eriogonum is a favorite but your rubescens makes me envious - I have only planted the creamy colors. Must get this into my gardens.

    ReplyDelete